Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.Lunar Phase: 2nd Quarter begins on Tuesday, May 2nd
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Gemini/Cancer - Plant seasonal color
- Marigolds and Alyssum are planted in vegetable gardens as they’ll repel some insects and add a splash of color.
Later in the Week
- Thursday/Friday: Moon in the sign of Virgo - Plant flowering vines and medicinal plants
- Bougainvillea, Banksia roses, and Trumpet Vines are available for planting at your favorite garden center.
Other Things To-do
- It’s a good time to repair and thicken up your lawns. I'd reseed the bare spots; however, for thickening, you need to reseed the entire area.
- Easter Lily plants are moved outside when the flowers begin to fade. You continue to water and feed them until the foliage starts to yellow and or turns brown. The bulbs can be removed from the pot and planted in a shady location next February.
- And finally, to prevent ants from climbing up and down your trees and shrubs apply Pest Barrier or Tanglefoot to the trunk. A two-inch band around the diameter will prevent the ants from getting into the canopy.