Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.Lunar Phase: New Moon on Sunday, February, 26 2nd Quarter begins on Friday, March 3
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Aquarius/Pisces - Harvest, cultivate, weed, control pests. and plant seasonal color
- Broccoli is best harvested by cutting the stalk with a pair of scissors.
Later in the Week
- Thursday/Friday: Moon in the sign of Taurus - Plant leafy vegetables and seasonal color
- For a unique look, sow California Poppy seeds into existing containers. The feathery foliage and bright orange flowers have a dramatic effect.
- Lettuce and Swiss Chard are available for planting
Other Things To-do
- You extend the blooming season of Sweet Peas by removing the seed pods. You also increase the stem length by applying one pound of fertilizer per ten linear feet of plants.