Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Daylight Savings time ends on Saturday, November 4, 4th quarter begins on Friday, November 10
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Taurus - Plant for root growth and divide perennials.
- Turnips, Radishes Beets, and Carrots are successfully grown in containers on a deck, patio or balcony. Any type or shape will do as long as it has drainage holes in the bottom.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Friday: Moon in the sign of Gemini/Cancer/Leo - Harvest, cultivate, divide perennials, control pests
- Snails and Slugs are still active so apply your bait with any new plantings.
- Agapanthus, Yarrow, and Bearded Iris can be divided now.
Other Things To-do
- Now is the time to reduce the mowing height on your lawn mower. During the winter months, Ryegrass, and Bluegrass should be mowed at 1 1/2 to 2 inches while fescue is cut at 2 to 2 1/2 inches.
- Good time to visit your favorite garden center to see the fall color on display with trees. Liquidambars, Raywood Ash, Pistache, Maples and Pin Oaks are making quite a show. Although you can plant at a later date, now is the time to make mental notes on your likes and dislikes.