Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Luna Phase: New Moon, Tuesday, September 19, Autumn Equinox - Friday, September 22
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Leo/Virgo - Harvest, weed, cultivate, and control pests
- Aphids are not usually a problem in the fall expect on Camellias, so be on the lookout for them on the new growth. Insecticidal Soap is one of the several organic solutions. One or two applications a week apart should be sufficient.
Later in the Week
- Wednesday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Libra - Plant seasonal colo
- Make your tulip bulb selection early as the bulbs need to be refrigerated four to six weeks before planting. It’s not too late plant in November and overplant with Pansies, Violas or other seasonal color are instant color.
Other Things To-do
- Prune back and feed your roses for one last flowering cycle this year. If you pruned them back now, the bushes should be able to provide cut flowers for the holidays.
- Vegetable transplants for the fall and winter months have arrived at your favorite garden center. Besides cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli, you'll also find many different types of lettuces, spinach, and green and red chard.
- And finally, now is the time to trim or pull off all the brown leaves on Bearded Iris. It's also an excellent time to plant new varieties as they have just arrived at your favorite garden center.