Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.Lunar Phase: 2nd Quarter begins on Wednesday, September 27
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Scorpio - Plant seasonal color
- Garden Mums are now available for planting in containers and the ground. When it comes to fall color, Mums the word.
Later in the Week
- Now is the time to seal brick, cement, other masonry surfaces and wood that develop moss during the rainy season. A sealer prevents the moss roots from growing into the material, and this makes the surface easy to clean up with a rag. There are several products available at your local home improvement retailer.
- Fall is an important time of the year to feed turf. It is in the fall, not the spring that grass produces new plants. Between now and Thanksgiving, apply a single application of lawn food.
Other Things To-do
- September is a good month to go through the canopy of citrus, removing any and all dead wood. The die back in citrus is a natural occurrence so pruning it out several times a year is not uncommon.
- And finally, prune back and feed your roses for one last flowering cycle this year. There is sufficient time for the roses to be in bloom for the holidays.