Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase : New Moon, Sunday, December 17 and the Winter Solstice Thursday, December 21
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Sagittarius - Harvest, cultivate, weed, and control pests.
- When picking Mandarin Oranges or Tangerines, be sure to leave a portion of the stem attached; otherwise, they’ll prematurely decay.
Later in the Week
- Yuletide Camellia is an upright single red variety with yellow stamens and is quietly becoming a holiday favorite. They can be placed on balconies, patios, and decks and will twinkle all season long with a string of holiday lights,
Other Things To-do
- For our feathered friends, it slim pickings during the winter months. So, don’t forget them by keeping your bird feeders full, placing Bird Bells around, and putting out treats like Suet Dough feeders.
- And finally, water containers under the eves of the house or a patio cover every three weeks.