Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.Lunar Phase: New Moon on Thursday, October 19
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Leo/Virgo - Harvest, cultivate, weed, control pests and harvest medicinal plants.
- Snails and Slugs can do as much damage in the fall as they do in the spring; so, protect your new plantings with Snail Bait.
Later in the Week
- Wednesday: Moon in the sign of Libra - Water
- With the shorter days and cool nights, you need to cut back on the number of days you water
- Peach, Plum, Apricot, Cherry, Nectarine and Plum trees are going dormant so stop watering them.
Other Things To-do
- When storing seeds for next season, use glass jars or zip-lock plastic bags. The air and or moisture reduces the seed viability and germination. I’d also add Silica Gell to absorbed moisture in the container while the seed is stored.
- And finally, you should continue fertilizing roses and citrus during the fall months.