Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Full Moon, January 1
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Gemini
- Control the new crops of seasonal weeds by cultivating them or spraying them with RoundUp while they are still small. With the days getting warmer and longer, the plants can get quite large quickly.
Later in the Week
- Wednesday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Leo - Harvest, cultivate and control pests
- With the dry conditions, It’s an excellent weekend to prune fruit trees and roses along with applying your first application of a dormant spray or oil.
Other Things To-do
- Now is a great time to plant dwarf fruit trees, but be sure to select a tree that’s best suited for your yard, Here are the typical heights as they vary; Semi-Dwarf 15' to 20', Dwarf 10' to 15', Ultra Dwarf 8' to 10', and Genetic Dwarf 6' to 8'.