Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter begins on Sunday, July 16
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Aries - Harvest, cultivate, weed, and control pests
- The Budworm season has arrived so be on the look out for them on Geraniums, Petunias, Flowering Tobacco and other plants. BT, Captain Jack Deadbug Brew or manually pick them off, are your organic solutions.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Tuesday: Moon in the sign of Taurus - Fertilize
- All plants are watered before and immediately after applying any granular fertilizer.
- Wednesday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Gemini - Harvest, cultivate, weed, and control pests
- The best time of the day to harvest vegetables is in the morning usually before 11:00 a.m. This is when the flavor is at its peak for the day.
Other Things To-do
- Established fruit trees should have a deep drink of water twice a month while the fruit is maturing and through the harvest. Water is applied under the drip line and avoid the trunk area. If you are using a watering basin make sure it extends from the trunk to the drip line of the tree.
- Add a wetting agent like EZ Wet or Perc-O-Late Plus to containerized plants to increase the water penetration in dense root balls. The wetting agent breaks the surface tension that surrounds the soil particle and allows water to flow through the root ball. At this time of year, it is common for water to roll around and out the sides of the container missing the majority of the roots.