Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.Lunar Phase: 2nd Quarter begins on Thursday, June 1.
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Cancer - Plant seasonal color
- It is time to replace Pansies, Primroses, Violas and winter and early spring color with those that tolerate the heat, wind and longer days. Planted now, they continue blooming into the fall.
Later in the Week
- Wednesday/Friday: Moon in the sign of Virgo - Plant flowering vines
- For a summer flowering vine, plant Clematis, Bougainvillea, and Honeysuckle
Other Things To-do
- It's time to reconstruct the water basins around trees and shrubs. A traditional watering basin should extend from the trunk of the plant to just beyond the drip line. On a slope, be sure that the basin is higher on the downward side to catch and hold the water.
- And finally, Mosquitoes season is just about to begin. In ponds, fountains, and birdbaths add a quarter of a Mosquito Dunk per five square feet of surface water. Mosquito Dunks are environmentally safe for humans, birds, and fish