Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 2nd quarter begins on Saturday, February 1
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Taurus - Plant seasonal color along with leafy vegetables and cabbages
- It's not too early to plant cool-season vegetables like Cabbage, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Spinach, Swiss Chard, and others. Transplants are now available for planting.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Tuesday: Moon in the sign of Gemini - Plant vines
- You should find a good selection of climbing roses. Florentina is new for 2020 and is a larger red flower variety. Two of my favorite are Sally Homes, Buff/White single flower and Fourth of July, White w/ Velvety Red Stripes.
- Wednesday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of seasonal color
- Pansies, Violas, Iceland Poppies, Primulas, and others are available for planting. Planted now, they will be in full bloom for Easter, which is April 12.
Other Things To-do
- It's time to fertilize your lawn and turn it back to a rich green color. The days are getting longer and slowly warmer. If you have problems last year with Crabgrass, Oxalis, and/or Spotted Spurge, be sure to select a turf product that controls the dormant seed. The nursery professional at your favorite garden center is an excellent resource in helping you choose the right product for your lawn.