Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter begins on Monday, August 11
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Aries - Harvest, weed, control pests, and plant for root growth
- Summer Squash is picked when young. With age, they'll lose their flavor. Even if you can't consume all the squash, keep the vines picked. Once the fruit is left to go to seed, the plant's energy and productivity will diminish.
Later in the Week
- Monday-Thursday: Moon in the sign of Taurus/Gemini - Harvest, weed, control pests, and plant for root growth
- We are mid-way through the period for seasonal worms. So, be on the lookout for foliage with holes in them. Spinosad is an organic control for worms and caterpillars on lettuce, tomatoes, geraniums, petunias, and others.
Other Things To-do
- Camellias are surfaced rooted, so water them often during warm weather. Camellias that go dry at this time of the year bloom poorly or not at all, as they're now forming their flower buds for next spring. …