Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Tuesday: Moon in the sign of Gemini - Plant vines
- Now is the time to visit your favorite garden center and see all the early flowering vines like the Happy Wonder and Carolina Jasmine, Gelsemium sempervirens.
- Wednesday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Cancer - Seasonal Color
- For a splash of summer color, you should plant Tiger, Asiatic, and Hybrid Lilies. They grow four to five feet tall and like the morning sun. For good drainage and to prevent soil compaction, mix homemade compost and soil conditioner along with Schultz's Clay Conditioner with the native soil. Lilies are equally as spectacular on decks and patio in containers.
Other Things To-do
- And finally, here is an easy way to check if seed left from previous years is still viable. You pour the seed into a glass, jar, or whatever of water. The seed that sinks to the bottom should be saved and planted. You dry the seed out by spreading it over a paper towel and covering it with a second sheet.