Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 2nd Quarter begins on October 16
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Sagittarius -
- There is still time to plant cool season vegetables like Cabbage, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Garden Peas, Spinach, and Swiss Chard. Your favorite garden center has transplants available, as it's too late to start these plants from seed.
Later in the Week
- Birds are a wonderful addition to any yard, but they certainly create a mess by scattering the seed all over the place. You prevent the seed from germinating by spreading the seed on a cookie sheet and heating it to 160 degrees for 30 minutes. This will kill the weed seeds and still be edible for the birds.
Other Things To-do
- When storing seeds for next season, use glass jars or zip-lock plastic bags. This protects the seed from the moisture in the air.
- Snails and Slugs can do as much damage in the fall as they do in the spring; so, protect your new plantings with Snail Bait.