Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Full Moon, Tuesday, April 7
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Virgo - Plant flowering vines, pole beans, and herbs
- Pole beans are best started in the open ground. You should sow the seeds 4 to 8 inches apart in rows that are 24 to 36 inches apart in rows. Push the seeds 1 inch and lightly brush soil over them. For pole beans, set up trellises or tepees first for support.
Later in the Week
- Thursday/Friday: Moon in the sign of Scorpio - Plant tomatoes, prune, and transplant perennials
- When planting tomatoes, be sure to plant them deep. It’s recommended to plant them so only the two sets of leaves are showing.
Other Things To-do
- Aphids cause the leaves on flowering and fruiting plum trees to curl. You should pick off the curled leaves, then spray the tree(s) with Insecticidal Soap and make a follow-up application in seven days. Once the leaves curl, they’ll never uncurl instead they shrivel up and turn brown, so it's important to identify the problem early on.