Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Aquarius - Harvest, weed and cultivate
- With Cucumbers, Squash, and Eggplant, you should harvest them when they reach the appropriate size for the type. Leaving them on the plant too long prevents a new crop for forming
Later in the Week
- Monday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Pisces & Aries - Harvest, weed, cultivate and control pests
- Be on the lookout for Budworms on Petunias, Geraniums, and Flowering Tobacco plants. A sign of a budworm problem is holes in the flower petals progressing to the point that the plants stop flowering. It's a green worm that blends into the foliage but up close is visible to the naked eye. You control Budworms by giving them a fatal case of the stomach flu with Bt or with Spinosad.
Other Things To-do
- You should disbud chrysanthemum plants now, and you'll get larger flowers this fall. Disbudding is the term used for the manual removal of 50-75% of the flower buds that develop on each stem. This allows the plant to put its energy into fewer flowers, thus increasing the size of those that remain.