Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter begins on Monday, August 14
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Aries/Taurus - Harvest, cultivate, weed, control pests and plant for root growth.
- Summer Squash is picked when they're young. As they grow larger and age, they lose their flavor. Even if you can’t consume all the squash, keep the vines picked. Once the fruit is left to go to seed, the plant's energy and productivity will diminish.
Later in the WeekWednesday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Gemini - Harvest, cultivate, weed, and control pests
- Harvest Blueberries as they ripen. They ready for harvesting when they turn a rich, blue color and are firm,
Other Things To-do
- Crabgrass is selectively removed from a grass lawn with Bayer Advanced All In One Weed Control and Crabgrass Killer or similar product. Crabgrass is used today as a generic term for many unwanted grassed, so you need to be sure that Crabgrass is your problem.
- Once you harvest the crop of Raspberries and Blackberries, it is time to prune off the old fruiting canes or vines at the ground, You then select the replacement vines from vigorous canes at the base of the plants and tie them to the trellis. These canes will produce berries next season. All the rest of the basal shoots should be cut off.