Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 2nd Quarter begins on Sunday, January 9
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Aries - Harvest, weed, and control pests
- It’s not too early to get a head start on the unwanted grasses now germinating. The little weeds become a big headache quickly as the days get longer and warmer. Pull by hand, cultivate or use herbicides appropriate to the area
- A dormant spray of liquid copper is applied to roses after pruning. You should strip off any remaining leaves and all remove all the debris under the canopy before spraying. One application is all that’s necessary.
Later in the Week
- Spinach, Swiss Card, and lettuce seedlings are now available for planting. They’re all excellent items to grow in containers.
Other Things To-do
- And finally, when the new growth is present at the base of Chrysanthemum plants, prune off last year’s stems at the ground.