Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Cancer/Leo - Harvest, control pests, cultivate
- Blueberry plants need to be checked often as the berries do not mature all at one time. Instead, the berry clusters ripen over six weeks.
- If your blackberries or raspberries never matured or were only half ripe, you have Berry Mite. By the time you see Berry Mite damage, it's too late to do anything about it. This insect is controlled during the winter months with a dormant season spray.
Later in the Week
- Tuesday-Wednesday: Moon in the sign of Virgo - Plant flowering vines
- Mandivellias are a lush, green, tropical vine that flowers all summer long.
- Thursday- Friday: Moon in the sign of Libra - Plant seasonal color
- Cosmos produces large single petal, daisy-like flowers with light green, feathery foliage. They require little water and grow twenty-four inches tall in full sun.
Other Things To-do
- Camellias need to be watered frequently July through September for next year's flowers to form. They also benefit from a two-inch layer of mulch to conserve water.
- July is the month to switch fertilizer on Fuchsias and Tuberous Begonias to 0-10-10. 0-10-10 is the fertilizer for bigger and better blooms. Also, to increase the number of flowers on Fuchsias, remove all the seedpods