Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.Lunar Phase: Full Moon, Saturday, July 8
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Capricorn - Plant for root growth
- Our heavy clay soil makes it difficult to grow the long standard types of Carrots, so plant them in containers.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Tuesday: Moon in the sign of Aquarius - Harvest, cultivate, weed, and control pests
- It is Hornworm season on tomatoes. You’ll need to check for them in the center of the plants if you find eaten leaves and or black droppings at the base of the plants. BT, Captain Jack Deadbug Brew or manually pick them off, are your organic solutions.
Other Things To-do
- Do not be afraid to pinch back the leggy growth on Petunias, Impatiens, and other annuals. Reducing the plant's height, 30 to 50%, forces the plants to be compact and bushier.
- And finally, the best time of the day to water is in the morning with a rising temperature. This puts water in the root zone where the plant needs the most and reduces water stress on hot days.