Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
Later in the Week
- Wednesday-Thursday: Moon in the sign of Pisces - Prune water, compost, fertilize.
- The best time to water turf and landscape plants is in the morning on a rising temperature. Also, you should reposition your drip system emitters if you haven't done so in the last twenty-four months.
- Fertilize Crape Myrtles now to encourage new growth. This increases the color as they only bloom on the current year's growth.
Other Things To-do
- Tomato plants should be staked or caged early in the growing cycle. Also, thin off the side shoots develop to reduce crowding in the center of the plants.
- You prevent ants from climbing into plants by applying a two-inch band of Pest Barrier/Tanglefoot to the trunk, two feet off the ground. If the ants return, they will be trapped in the sticky gum-like resin, preventing their forward movement.
- To keep their growth contained, don't plant a vine on a fence. There is no guarantee your neighbor will appreciate them as much as you do when they intrude into their yard.