Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: New Moon, Monday, July 20
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Cancer - Prune, water, compost, fertilize.
- If you have run out of brown leaves for your compost pile, I would use sheared newspaper, other household debris, or straw. It can also be used as a mulch around plants to conserve water and weed prevention.
Later in the Week
- Thursday through Friday: Moon in the sign of Gemini: Plant flowering vines,
- Mandeville's are topical looking vines. They have lush green leaves and large tubular flowers during the summer and fall. Although evergreen, they do suffer from the winter cold so they need to be protected.
Other Things To-do
- You should apply EZ Wet soil penetrant to containerized plants that have been in the same container for a year or longer. The wetting agent allows the water to flow through the root ball. It's common for water to roll around and out the sides of the container. This causes the plant to suffer from water stress.
- Established peach and nectarine trees should have a deep drink of water twice to three times a month through the harvest.. The moisture is applied under the drip line, avoiding the trunk area. If you are using a watering basin, make sure it extends from the trunk to the drip line.