Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
Later in the Week
- Monday-Tuesday: Moon in the sign of Aries - Harvest, weed, and control pests
- Budworm season has begun, so be on the lookout for worms on Tomatoes, Geraniums, Flowering Tobacco, and others. Signs of a problem are holes in the flowers and insects dropping around the base of the plants.
- Blueberry plants need to be checked often as the berries do not mature all at one time...Instead, the clusters ripen over a six-week period.
- Wednesday-Thursday; Moon in the sign of Taurus - Fertilize and shape plants.
- All plants are watered before and immediately after applying any granular fertilizer. Also, avoid fertilizing when the temperatures are over 85 degrees.
- July is the month to switch fertilizer to 0-10-10. 0-10-10 on Fuchsias and Tuberous Begonias for bigger and better blooms.
Other Things To-do
- The summer months are crucial for Camellias, so don't ignore them. Irregular watering from July through September will affect the flowering next year. Camellias require regular watering, and they should be mulched.