Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
Later in the Week
- Monday through Wednesday: Moon in the sign of Libra/Scorpio - Plant seasonal color
- Zinnias are an excellent annual for areas where deer are a problem. And for those hot locations plant Vinca Rosea and Victorian Salvia.
Other Things To-do
- Tomato plants should be staked or caged early in the growing cycle. Also, don’t be afraid to pinch out the side shoots that develop within the leaves. They will reduce the density of the plants and give better air circulation.
- You prevent ants from climbing into plants by applying a two-inch band of Pest Barrier/Tanglefoot to the trunk, two feet off the ground. The ants will be trapped in the sticky gum-like resin, preventing their upward movement.
- And finally, it’s not too early to conserve moisture around trees, shrubs, and ground covers by mulching. A one to two-inch layer of mulch will protect the roots of all plants during our warm summer days as well as retard weed growth