Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: none, Saturday, November 11, Veteran’s Day
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Virgo - Harvest, cultivate, weed, control pests
- It’s not too early to spray Peaches and Nectarines with a Copper Fungicide for Peach Leaf Curl. This is followed up in January/February with a second application.
Later in the Week
- Tuesday/Wednesday: Moon in the sign of Libra - Compost, fertilize
- Gather and bag the fallen leaves while they’re still dry to use in my compost pile. The leaves are an excellent component to mix with grass clippings.
Other Things To-do
- To make the soil more acid apply a soil acidifier to shade-loving plants including Blueberries. It is evenly spread under the canopy and mixed into the ground. The winter rains do the rest.
- And finally, replace any broken splash blocks or those that have disappeared and clean out the gutters, before the rainy season begins