Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter Begins On Thursday, August 18
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Pisces - Transplant for root growth
- When transplanting landscape shrubs, be sure they have been watered while in their original container. Planting trees and shrubs with a dry root ball could lead to water stress.
Later in the Week
- Monday-Wednesday-Thursday: Moon in the sign of Aries - harvest, weed, and control pests
- Control grubs by applying any one of the many grub control products now. An early application discourages raccoons from tearing up your lawn this fall.
Other Things To-do
- Spent roses are cut off close to a leaf bud. When you leave too much of the stem, it will die back naturally, leaving black tips.
- Be sure to keep the area under fruit trees clear of fallen and rotting fruit. All this debris is a perfect breeding ground for problems later on.
- And finally, Peach and Nectarine trees are fertilized now for a second time to encourage the production of new growth. They produce fruit on this growth next year.