Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Full Moon, Wednesday December 11
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Taurus - Plant seasonal color and leafy vegetables
- Paper White Narcissus is a perfect bulb for growing indoor in shallow dishes or containers. All you have to do is cover the bottom of the container with rock, nestle the bulbs next to one another and add water up the bottom of the bulb. I would put them in bright window, check them daily for water and then watch them sprout and flower.
Later in the Week
- Now is an excellent time to trim conifers like Junipers, Redwoods, Pines and others. Instead of disposing of them, use the trimmings in your holiday decorations. Once the holiday season is over, chop them up and throw them in your compost pile. Also, to keep the greens fresh, spray the needles and branches with Wilt Stop.
Other Things To-do
- Once you get your Christmas Tree home make a fresh cut by removing at least an inch of the trunk. This is recommended even if the tree was standing in water on the tree lot. A tree will reseal itself within 2-3 hours so get the tree in a water stand ASAP.