Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter Begins on Wednesday, December 18
- Saturday-Wednesday: Moon in the sign of Leo/Virgo - Harvest, weed, and control pests.
- When harvesting Mandarin Oranges and Tangerines use a pair of scissors to cut the fruit, leaving a small portion of the stem. The stem helps prevent rapid fruit rot.
Later in the Week
- Thursday-Friday: Moon in the sign of Libra - Water, compost and ferilize
- Container plants under a patio cover or the eves of the house should be watered if they have been so in the last three weeks.
Other Things To-do
- It’s not too early to spray fruit trees for overwintering insects with a dormant spray or oil. You do need 24 hours of dry weather during rainy periods.
- To prevent Poinsettia leaves from turning yellow and curling up, place them in a room where the temperature is around 65 degrees. Also, avoid those areas where there is a draft from opening and closing doors.