Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Aries - Harvest, cultivate, weed, and control pests
- Valencia Orange should be ripe; however, taste test one for sweetness. If sour, let them hang on the tree, as they will sweeten up in time.
- And finally, control flea eggs by applying Beneficial Nematodes around dog runs and kennels. The Beneficial Nematodes will destroy the eggs before they hatch and limit Flea outbreaks during hot weather.
Later in the Week
- Tuesday through Wednesday: Moon in the sign of Taurus - Fertilize
- June is the last month to fertilize turf until after Labor Day. Fertilizing during July and August is discouraged as fungus problems can develop from the lush growth. I'd use a complete fertilizer that will release nitrogen over an extended period of time..
Other Things To-do
- A perfect companion plant to Lily of the Nile or Daylilies is the Canna Lily. Canna Lily's have dramatic flower spikes that can grow to five-plus feet while the main plant stays at four feet they grow the best in sunny to partly shady areas.
- Check your drip irrigation emitters to see that the moisture is being distributed evenly around each plant. All too often half or more of the plant goes dry and water stress develops if the drippers are clogged or plants have grown too large for the emitters