Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
Later in the Week
- Thursday-Friday: Moon in the sign of Virgo - Plant flowering vines
- Honeysuckle is a rapidly growing vine for full or partly shaded areas. The long tubular yellow to cream-colored flowers are a favorite with Hummingbirds.
Other Things To-do
- June is the last month to fertilize turf until after Labor Day. Feeding during July and August is discouraged as fungus problems can develop from the lush growth. I'd use a complete fertilizer that will release nitrogen over an extended period of time.
- A perfect companion plant to Lily of the Nile or Daylilies is the Canna Lily. Canna Lily's have dramatic flower spikes that can grow to five-plus feet while the main plant stays at four feet they grow the best in sunny to partly shady areas.
- And finally, with warm temperatures, water your landscape and turf on rising temperatures. Your watering should be completed by 11:00 a.m.