Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 2nd Quarter begins on Thursday, June 17
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Cancer - Plant seasonal color
- Cosmos has pink and white daisy-like flowers with lacy green leaves that bloom all summer long. They’re drought tolerant and be grown by themselves or combined with other seasonal color.
Later in the Week
- Tuesday-Thursday: Moon in the sign of Virgo - Plant flowering vines
- Mandevilla is a lush, tropical vine with pink or red flowers. They need to be protected from the winter cold, so their best grown in containers.
Other Things To-do
- You keep Petunias short and compact by pinching the plants back after each blooming period. It's okay to remove 40%-50% of the growth with each trimming.
- Bonide Wilt Stop helps prevent leaf scorch on Japanese Maples. It's best applied in the morning before a heat spell. Bonide Wilt Stop coats the leaf with a clear membrane that reduces the excessive loss of moisture through evaporation on hot days. It's applied monthly now through September.