Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Sunday, June 20, Father’s Day & the Summer Solstice; Full Moon on Thursday, June 24
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Libra - Plant Seasonal color
- Calibrachoa, also known as million bells low growing annual that blooms into the fall. It's excellent in containers as it has a trailing habit and looks great in hanging baskets, bowls, or mixed containers. It comes in a rainbow of colors, bloom continuously through the growing season, and its flowers attract butterflies and hummingbirds.
Later in the Week
- Wednesday-Thursday: Moon in the sign of Sagittarius - Plant fruit trees and weed
- Peach, Plums, Apricots, Peaches, and Nectarines are available in containers for planting a home orchard. I select varieties with different ripening times so you have fruit all summer long
Other Things To-do
- To prevent water from rolling around and out the side of containerized plants, apply a wetting agent such as E-Z Wet. E-Z Wet breaks the surface tension allowing water to penetrate the root ball of established plants.
- Beneficial Nematodes can be applied around dog runs and kennels. They are a non-toxic control for flea eggs.