Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Capricorn - Plant for root growth.
- Radish, Carrots, Turnips, and Beets can still be planted for a summer harvest.
Later in the Week
- Tuesday/Wednesday: Moon in the sign of Aquarius - Harvest, weed, cultivate and control pests
- Valencia Oranges should be ripening; however, taste test one first for sweetness. If sour, let them hang on the tree, as they will sweeten up in time. Valencia oranges require more than on growing season to mature.
Other Things To-do
- You protect the trunks of young fruit and shade trees by painting them with white latex paint. The white paint reflects the heat, preventing sunburn. The damaged tissue is a perfect entry point for flathead borers.
- And finally, check your drip irrigation emitters to see that the moisture is being distributed evenly around the entire plant. All too often plants go dry if the drippers are clogged or if there isn’t a sufficient number of too wet the entire root ball.