Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter begins on Sunday, January 27
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Capricorn & Scorpio - Prune, water, compost and fertilize
- 0-10-10 is recommended to feed Bearded Iris during the winter months to encourage and improve flowering with established clumps.
Later in the Week
- Now is a great time to plant dwarf fruit trees, but be sure to select a tree that’s best suited for your yard, Here are the typical heights as they vary; Semi-Dwarf 15' to 20', Dwarf 10' to 15', Ultra Dwarf 8' to 10', and Genetic Dwarf 6' to 8'.
Other Things To-do
- Blueberries are available now and make an excellent companion plant to Azaleas, Camellias, Hosta and others in shady areas. Blueberry plants should yield 2 to 3 quarts of berries per year.
- And finally, this is an excellent weekend to visit your favorite garden center and browse the seed rack. January is an excellent month to sow vegetable and flower seeds into flats for planting later in the spring.