Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Full Moon, Sunday, January 20
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Cancer - Plant seasonal color
- Primroses, Primulas, and Iceland Poppies along with Pansies and Violas are just a few of the winter color varieties available today at your favorite garden center. Planted now, they will continue blooming into the early spring
Later in the Week
- Monday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Leo - Harvest, cultivate, weeds and control pests
- Camellia Petal Blight causes the flower to rot at the center. To prevent the disease, clean up all the debris especially the spent flowers. Since we have no chemicals to treat the problem, good sanitation practices are a must. In addition, light cultivation under the plants disrupts the , structures on the ground
Other Things To-do
- When pruning Apricot and Plum trees use a ladder or telescoping pole pruner, to avoid climbing in the trees, avoids damaging the fruiting spurs.
- When freezing temperatures are expected, bring in your Hummingbird feeder and then reset it out in the morning. Hummingbirds are morning feeders.