Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter begins on Wednesday, January 7
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Libra - Plant for root growth and divide perennials
- Foxglove, Shasta Daisies, Daylilies, and others can be divided now. An all-purpose fertilizer is applied after dividing for nutrients and to encourage the new growth.
Later in the Week
- Tuesday/Wednesday: Moon in the sign of Scorpio - Transplant perennials and prune
- You can continue pruning roses, fruit and shade trees but hold off pruning Citrus, Avocados, Flowering Trees and plants with frost damage until mid-March.
Other Things To-do
- Egg shells are used as a barrier around vegetable gardens for Snail control. So start saving shells now so there will be enough when you plant. Thoroughly washed and dried the shells before storing them in a plastic bag
- This is an ideal weekend to apply a pre-emergent Crabgrass control and fertilizer to feed your lawn and prevent Crabgrass later.