Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: New Moon, on Wednesday, April 22
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Pisces: Prune, water, compost, and fertilize
- Azaleas, along with Camellias, and Rhododendrons are fed Azalea, Camellia, and Rhododendron Food. I'd apply it monthly now even if they still in bud and bloom through October.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Wednesday: Moon in the sign of Aries: Harvest, weed, control pests, and weed
- When harvesting chives, be sure to cut the stems off at the base of the plants. This encourages the new shoots while giving it a hair cut only weakens the plant(s).
- Sowbugs are controlled around edibles crops with Spinosad. Sowbugs are especially a problem in strawberry and melon patches.
Other Things To-do
- It's a good time to reseed bare spots and thicken up thinning lawns. For bare spots, I would reseed the blank areas; however, for thickening, you need to reseed the entire area. Also, in those areas that are shady, I'd use a shade mix and blend the seed into the sunny areas.