Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Aquarius - Harvest weed, and control pests
- When harvesting chives, be sure to cut the stems off at the base of the plants. This encourages the new shoots while giving it a hair cut only weakens the plant(s).
Later in the Week
- Monday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Pisces/Aries - Prune, water compost and fertilize
- Now is the time to switch from the 0-10-10 fertilizer to Azalea, Camellia, and Rhododendron Food on Azaleas, Camellias, and Rhododendrons even if they are not finished blooming.
Other Things To-do
- Easter Lily plants are moved outside when the flowers begin to fade. You continue to water and feed them until the foliage starts to yellow. You store the pots in a cool dry area when the foliage turns brown. The bulbs can be removed from the pot and planted in a shady location next February.
- And finally, to prevent ants from climbing up and down your trees and shrubs apply Pest Barrier or Tanglefoot to the trunk. A two-inch band around the diameter will prevent the ants from getting into the