Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: New Moon, on Saturday, May, 4
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Taurus -
- Spring flowering trees and shrubs, like lilacs, snowball, cherries, redbuds, plums, and pears are pruned after their finished flowering. You remove the crossing branches, open up the center and cut back the outer branches.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Tuesday: Moon in the sign of Gemini - Plant melons and vines
- May is the month to plant melons. Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Muskmelon, and other varieties are available at your favorite garden center.
- Wednesday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Cancer - Plant seasonal color
- Zinnias are an excellent annual for areas where deer are a problem.
Other Things To-do
- Tomato plants should be staked or caged early in the growing cycle. While tomato cages are widely used. I’d also thin out the side shoots to reduce the density plant(s) throughout the growing season.
- With warm weather, it is time to reestablish the watering basins around trees and shrubs especially those on a slope. I would build the where higher on the downward slope to prevent the water from rolling away.