Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Full Moon, Saturday, October 28: Halloween, Tuesday, October 31
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Taurus - Plant for root growth
- Liquidambars, Raywood Ash, Pistache, Maples Crape Myrtles, and Scarlet Oaks are planted for their fall color. Now is the time to plant so their roots get established over the winter for a strong flush of growth in the spring
Later in the Week
- Wednesday-Friday: Moon in the sign of Cancer - Plant tubers, start or turn compost piles
- Cyclamen is a favorite for seasonal color. They're classified as tuber because roots form on all sides, like a potato.
Other Things To-do
- Now is the time to reduce the mowing height on your lawn mower. During winter, Ryegrass and Bluegrass should be mowed at 1 1/2 to 2 inches, while fescue is cut at 2 to 2 1/2 inches.
- Now is an excellent time to plant or add new perennials to existing areas. Iberis, Paludosum Daisy, Foxglove, Larkspur, Coreopsis, and others, grown now, will bloom this coming spring.