Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Wednesday, October 31 Halloween, 4th Quarter begins on Wednesday, October 31
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Gemini - Harvest, weed, cultivate, and control pests.
- Do not be surprised to find Aphids on the new growth of Camellias. They are easy to contro with one application, maybe two of Insecticidial Soap .
Later in the Week
- Monday-Tuesday: Moon in the sign of Cancer - Plant for root growth and divide perennials
- This is a great time of the year to plant trees. Trees planted in the fall will develop a better than average root system before the spring flush of growth. Redbuds, Red Maples, Chinese Pistache or Crape Myrtle are excellent for fall color. The nursery professional at you.
Other Things To-do
- When planting fall bulbs, you can increase the color per square foot by piggybacking your plantings. One of the best yellow-blue combinations is the yellow Daffodil with blue Wedgewood Iris. You should plant the bulbs in a diamond pattern with the Daffodils six inches deep and the Iris planted shallower at three inches. Blue or yellow Pansies are added to covered
- With the rainy season about to begin, protect slopes and hillsides from erosion by sowing Erosion Control Seed Mix. These are fast germinating seed varieties that will help stabilize the soil.