Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
Later in the Week
- Tuesday - Thursday: Moon in the sign of Libra - Plant seasonal color
- Zinnias are one of the best annuals to plant in a sunny location where deer are a problem. Profusion Zinnias spread rapidly, to eighteen inches tall and two feet wide.
Other Things To-do
- Be sure to keep the area under fruit trees clear of fallen and rotting fruit. All this debris is a perfect breeding ground for problems such as Yellow Jackets, Roof Rats, and other rodents.
- When deadheading roses, be sure to cut the flowers off close to a leaf bud. Black stem tips naturally occur from leaving excess stem tissue.
- .Spent roses are cut off close to a leaf bud. When you leave too much of the stem, it will die back naturally, leaving black tips.