Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Full Moon Friday, September 13
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Capricorn
- Yellow Jackets are very active this month as the nest is at its peak. They are easily agitated now as mating season is right around the corner. It is advisable to refresh you Yellow Jack Traps by adding new attractant.
Later in the Week
- Thursday/Friday: Moon in the sign of Pisces - Plant seasonal color
- Mums the word for fall color, as all your favorites colors are now available at your favorite garden center. Garden Mums are now available. Gold, rust, bronze, yellow, pink and white are just a few of the fall color available.
Other Things To-do
- It is time to pamper Cyclamen plants that have been struggling with the heat all summer long. Trim off any of the brown or diseased leaves and feed the plants with Fish Emulsion. The fertilizer will encourage the new growth while the flowers develop with the shorter days and cool nights.
- Now is a good time to shear evergreen hedges and screens for the last time this year. This allows enough time for the new growth to mature and ensures that it will not be damaged by an early frost. Also a light fertilizing will help. The exceptions are conifers. Junipers, cedars, and cypresses, are best pruned in February or March.