Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Virgo/Libra - Plant seasonal color, flowering vines, and herbs.
- Transplants of petunias, marigolds, lobelias, zinnias and. other summer annuals are available at your favorite garden center
- You can make petunia plants drought tolerant or water-wise by not over watering them early on. After the initial watering, don't water again until they start to flag or wilt then water thoroughly. You'll be surprised by how little water they require when watered in this manner.
Other Things To-do
- April is the month to switch from the winter fertilizer to a growing type on all shade loving plants to the Azalea, Camellia, and Rhododendron Food.
- Prevent snails and slugs from climbing into the canopy of Citrus by attaching copper tape to the trunk, two feet off the ground. The tape does not kill the snails and slugs; it just prevents their forward movement. It should be replaced every two years.