Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 2nd quarter begins on Friday, April 12
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Taurus - Plant seasonal color and leafy vegetables
- Alyssum and Marigolds provide plenty of summer color both in containers as well as in the ground. They also can be planted for Whiteflies prevention in vegetable gardens.
Later in the Week
- Tuesday/Friday: Moon in the sign of Gemini and Cancer- plant melons, vines, and seasonal color
- Carolina Jasmine and Banksias Rose, along with all the other climbing Roses are the primary spring flowering vines.
Other Things To-do
- And finally, now is the time to be on the lookout for curly leaves on flowering and fruiting plum trees. Aphids cause the leaves to curl and you control them with Insecticidal Soap.
- It is now okay to cut off the foliage of ferns damaged by the winter cold at the ground. The new growth will develop from the base of the clumps and you encourage the new growth with an all-purpose fertilizer.