Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: Halloween, Monday, October 31;
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Capricorn - Prune and fertilize
- It's not too early to prune fruit trees. It's highly recommended that apricots be pruned in the fall rather than winter. The open pruning wound can be an entry point for a disease that doesn't show up Intel next summer.
Later in the Week
- Wednesday -Thursday: Moon in the sign of Pisces - Plant seasonal color
- It's not too late to plant bulbs. Actually, it is one of the better times of the year to do so, as the ground is still warm from the summer heat. Tulips, Daffodils, Crocus, and many others are available at your favorite garden center
Other Things To-do
- Sart on all those unwanted weeds next spring by spraying the ground with Impede from Monterey Lawn and Garden. Impede is a pre-emergent herbicide that kills the weed's seeds before they germinate. It can be safely sprayed over and around any rooted trees, shrubs, or ground covers without damage. It is also safe enough to use around bulbs.
- And finally, with the leaves falling, it is time to clean out your gutters of all the debris that has gathered. You might look to install gutter screens, as this will keep them clean and clear all year long.