Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter begins on Tuesday, November 19, Thanksgiving is Thursday, November 21
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Cancer -
- The Stockton Red, Torpedo, Sweet White and Yellow Bermuda Onion plants are now available at your favorite garden center. Onion plants are planted four inches on center with the rows three feet apart with generously amended soil.
Later in the Week
- Monday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Leo/Virgo - Harvest, cultivate, control pests and weed
- It’s not too early to spray Peaches and Nectarines with a Copper Fungicide for Peach Leaf Curl. This is followed up in January/February with a second application.
Other Things To-do
- Now is the time to winterize cold-sensitive plants like Bougainvilleas, Citrus, Hibiscus, and others by spraying them with Bonide Wilt Stop. Bonide Wilt Stop puts a protective barrier between the foliage and the cold.
- Hydrangea Blue from Gro More or Soil Sulfur is applied to Hydrangeas to turn them or keep them blue. They’re also applied to blueberries and other shady plants to keep the soil acid. It’s evenly spread around the plants and lightly cultivated into the soil, letting the winter rains do the rest.
- And finally, replace any broken splash blocks or those that have disappeared and clean out the gutters, before the rainy season begins