Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter begins on Tuesday, November 19: Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 28
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Libra, - Water, compost, and fertilize
- You should remove the fallen leaves and other debris from turf and ground cover areas and add them to your compost pile. If left for any extended period the plants underneath the layer will die from the lack of sunlight
Later in the Week
- For the Thanksgiving holiday, I'd add Flowering Kale, Mums, and Cyclamen to entryways, decks, and patio containers.
Other Things To-do
- Now is the time to winterize cold-sensitive plants like Bougainvilleas, Citrus, Hibiscus, and others by spraying them with Bonide Wilt Stop. Bonide Wilt Stop puts a protective barrier between the foliage and the cold.