Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: New Moon Tuesday, March 24
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Pisces; Prune, water, compost, and fertilize.
- Now that the danger of frost has passed, it's okay to prune the frost damage plants. Scratching the bark of twigs and stems with a fingernail is a good way to distinguish between damaged and undamaged tissue. If the area right under the bark is green the tissue is okay
- The area around newly planted trees and shrubs should be cultivated often. This prevents the soil from crusting over, it helps prevent run-off and it‘s a deterrent for new weeds as you disturb the newly germinated weed seeds.
Later in the Week
- Thursday/Friday: Moon in the sign of Taurus: Plant seasonal color
- Dahlias tubers are planted in the open ground or in containers. The tubers are now available at your favorite garden center
Other Things To-do
- And finally, the best way to clean herbicide residue from a hose end or tank sprayer is with Baking Soda. The Baking Soda will neutralize the herbicide residue preventing tissue damage when spraying diseases and pests.