Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 2nd Quarter begins Saturday, June 9
- Saturday-Sunday: Moon in the sign of Leo/Virgo- Plant flowering vines
- Honeysuckle is a fast-growing vine that also can be used as a ground cover. It has lush green leaves with long cream color tubular flowers that attract Hummingbirds.
Later in the Week
- Tuesday/Friday: Moon in the sign of Libra/Scorpio - Plant Season color
- Fibrous Begonias has replaced Impatiens for summer color in mass planting. They have white, pink or red flowers with a variety of different colored leaves and grow well in the sun or shade.
Other Things To-do
- Check your drip irrigation emitters to see that the moisture is being distributed evenly around each plant. All too often half or more of the plant goes dry, and water stress develops if the drippers are clogged or plants have grown too large for the emitters
- And finally, control flea eggs by applying Beneficial Nematodes around dog runs and kennels. The Beneficial Nematodes will destroy the eggs before they hatch and limit Flea outbreaks during hot