Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter begins Friday, January 18
- Saturday-Tuesday: Moon in the sign of Leo - Harvest, cultivate, weed and control pests
- When harvesting Mandarin, Oranges, and Tangerines use a pair of scissors to cut the fruit, leaving a small portion of the stem. The stem helps prevent rapid fruit rot.
Later in the Week
- Wednesday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Libra - Plant for root growth, and divide perennials
- Asparagus, Rhubarb,, Artichokes, Horseradish, and other perennial vegetables are now available.
Other Things To-do
- When freezing temperatures are expected, bring in your Hummingbird feeders in the evening and set them out in the morning. Hummingbirds are morning feeders. They will not be able to nourish themselves if the liquid is frozen.
- It's time to apply your second application of Bonide Wilt Stop as more cold weather is to come. Wilt Stop protects frost tender plants from freezing temperatures.