Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 4th Quarter begins on Saturday, September 2, Monday, September 23 Autumn Equinox
- Saturday-Wednesday: Moon in the sign of Gemini/Cancer/Leo - Harvest weed, cultivate, prune, water, fertilize, and control pests.
- You should be on the lookout for Aphids on the new growth of Camellias. One application of Insecticidal Soap will control them.
- Fall is a crucial time of the year to feed turf areas. One application of a fall and winter fertilizer should be made between now and Thanksgiving.
- You should keep your vegetable garden weeded even with the crops declining. If ignored, the unwanted vegetation will go to seed and come back to plague you next year.
Later in the Week
- Thursday/Friday: Moon in the sign of Virgo - HarvestPumpkins are ready to harvest when the foliage starts to turn yellow, so stop watering them and let the plants die. Halloween is still weeks away, but you can leave pumpkins in the patch or move them to a shady location until you are ready to carve them.
Other Things To-do
- Now is the time to trim or pull off all the brown leaves on Breaded Iris. It's also an excellent time plant new varieties as they have just arrived at your favorite garden center.
- And finally, Daffodils are graded by the number of flowers they all will produce. All the other bulbs are graded by size usually in centimeters. A