Gardening by the Moon Weekend To-Do
An idea as old as agriculture, based both folklore and superstition but there are scientific ideas to back it up.
- Lunar Phase: 2nd Quarter begins on Saturday, October 5
- Saturday-Monday: Moon in the sign of Capricorn - Plant seasonal color
- When planting spring-flowering bulbs always plant in groups or clusters, rather than in a straight row. A straight line of tulips and daffodils, for example, are not very dramatic when they bloom. Also, do not forget to add Bulb Food under each bulb.
Later in the Week
- Wednesday/Thursday: Moon in the sign of Pisces -With the days getting shorter and cooler, it's a perfect time to plant Pansies and Violas for fall, winter and spring color.
Other Things To-do
- It is beneficial in the fall and again in the spring to add 1/4 cup Epson Salt around the base of each rose bush. Epson Salt is an excellent source of the trace element magnesium. Magnesium will keep the leaves a dark green color and help in the development of basal shoots.
- And finally, it's not too early to clean out the gutters of all the debris that has collected since the last rainy season. Where there is a constant shedding of leaves and needles you might consider installing gutter screens to eliminate this task next year